Heel pain isn’t just annoying; it can also keep you from enjoying your day. Heel pain can make it difficult to walk, or even to stand and put weight on your feet. The good news is, there is relief from heel pain. Talk with your podiatrist. The podiatrists at Affiliates in Podiatry offer a full range of footcare services, including treatment for heel pain, to help you and your feet. They have two convenient office locations in Concord and Meredith, NH, to help you.
If you are dealing with heel pain, you may be wondering what is causing your heel pain. There are several different reasons why your heels hurt. You may have:
- A heel bruise, caused from stepping on sharp or hard objects
- A heel spur, caused from excess deposits of calcium on your heel
- Plantar fasciitis, caused by inflammation of the plantar fascia, which is the thick band of tissue running across your heel
Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. Runners, joggers, and people who practice other foot-stressing sports often suffer from plantar fasciitis. Other causes of plantar fasciitis include overpronating or rolling your feet when you walk, and standing or walking on hard surfaces for extended periods of time.
You may have plantar fasciitis if you experience:
- Acute, stabbing pain on your heel
- Aching, throbbing pain in your arch or on the side of your foot
- Increasing heel pain when you stand or walk
If you are experiencing heel pain, there are some simple therapies you can try at home. Consider:
- Placing ice on your heel several times during the day
- Stretching your arches several times during the day
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Resting and taking the weight off of your feet
Stubborn heel pain requires the services of an expert, your podiatrist. At Affiliates in Podiatry common treatments for heel pain include:
- Custom-fit orthotics and footwear to support your feet
- Physical therapy and stretches to increase flexibility
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Cortisone injections in your heel to reduce inflammation
You can get relief from heel pain, but you need to take action. To find out more about the causes and treatment of heel pain, call the podiatrists at Affiliates in Podiatry, with offices in Concord and Meredith, NH. Call today!