If you have ever had an ingrown nail, you know how much of a bother it can be. It causes minor discomfort at first and soon becomes more painful if it isn’t removed. When a toenail is ingrown, it can get much worse since you have to wear shoes every day. Some patients get ingrown toenails regularly, making it a more urgent foot condition that could interfere with their foot health. Read below to learn how the doctors at Affiliates in Podiatry, PC in Concord and Meredith, NH can help you with your ingrown toenails.
Causes of Ingrown Toenails
Nails normally grow about a couple of millimeters each month. They should grow over the surface of the skin, but in some cases, the nail pushes into the skin instead. The result is an ingrown toenail. The possible causes include:
- Wearing shoes that fit tightly around the toes.
- Trimming the nails too short.
- Fungal infections on the toes.
- Having a foot deformity that puts pressure on the toenails.
- A family history of ingrown toenails, as this problem may be an inherited trait.
Problems Caused by Ingrown Toenails
An ingrown toenail can seem like a minor issue that goes away eventually on its own, but for some patients, it can be a more difficult problem to manage. For anyone, they can be painful andmake it hard to walk comfortably. Diabetic patients, in particular, however, have to prevent and fix ingrown toenails before they break the skin and cause injuries. Wounds on their lower extremities, don't always heal as quickly as they should.
How a Foot Doctor Can Help
Ingrown toenails are a chronic problem for some patients, but a foot doctor can help to reduce the chance that they’ll form or worsen as time goes on. These are some ways a Concord and Meredith, NH podiatrist can help:
- Toenail trimming in the office.
- Orthotic supports and shoes.
- Safe removal of ingrown nails and wound care as needed.
- Medication to prevent and eliminate the presence of foot fungi.
- A surgical procedure to fix foot deformities (if needed).
Get Help with Ingrown Toenails
Seek the assistance of a podiatrist if you have a recurring or obstinate issue with ingrown toenails. Call today to schedule an appointment at Affiliates in Podiatry, PC: (603)-225-5281 for Concord, or (603)-279-0330 for Meredith.