How your podiatrists in Meredith, and Concord, NH, can help when you experience a sports injury.
Even if you are in great shape, sports injuries can happen, especially to your extremities. Your feet, ankles, and toes may be affected due to inadequate protection. Fortunately, your podiatrist can help when you experience a sports injury.
Drs. Jeffery Davis, Thomas Detwiller, and William McCann at Affiliates in Podiatry offer comprehensive foot and ankle services, including treatment of sports injuries.
If you play a sport, you need to know the facts about sports injuries. These are just a few commonly asked questions and answers about sports injuries:
What can I do to prevent a sports injury?
Fortunately, you can do a lot to prevent sports injuries to your feet or ankles. Remember to:
- Always wear appropriate footwear for the activity you are doing
- Start out slowly, especially if you are new to the sport
- Stretch thoroughly to boost circulation and increase flexibility
- Rest frequently, especially if you haven’t been active
What are some common sports injuries to the feet and ankles?
- Plantar fasciitis, caused by inflammation of the band of tissue on your heel
- Shin splints, caused by inflammation of the tibia, the large bone in front of your leg
- Foot and ankle fractures, caused by trauma from contact sports
- Achilles’ tendonitis, caused by overuse and excessive foot stress
What can I do at home to heal from a sports injury?
Minor sports injuries may be treated at home. You can try:
- Icing the area to reduce swelling
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Resting and taking the weight off your feet and ankles
How can my podiatrist help with a sports injury?
Your podiatrist is an expert at treating sports injuries affecting your feet, ankles, and toes. Common professional treatments include:
- Custom orthotics or footwear to protect your feet
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
- Assistive devices including casts, walking boots, or crutches
- Stretching and physical therapy to increase mobility
- Surgical treatment to realign bones in your feet or ankles
To learn more about the types and treatment of sports injuries and how your podiatrist can help, call Drs. Jeffery Davis, Thomas Detwiller, and William McCann at Affiliates in Podiatry. You can reach them in Meredith, NH, at (603) 279-0330, or in Concord, NH, by calling (603) 225-5281, so call today.