Heel pain is a common reason that residents of Meredith and Concord, NH, visit Dr. William McCann, Dr. Jeffery Davis, and Dr. Thomas Detwiller of Affiliates in Podiatry. Do you know when you should see the podiatrist if you have heel pain?
It's time to call your Meredith and Concord foot doctor if you have any of these symptoms
Get in touch with your foot doctor if:
- Your heel pain lasts more than a week or two: In many cases, resting your heel as much as possible will ease the pain. If the pain persists, it's a good idea to schedule an appointment.
- You have severe pain: Severe pain is never normal and needs to be evaluated as soon as possible.
- You're having trouble walking: Your podiatrist needs to see you if walking is painful or difficult.
- You can't put any weight on your heel at all: If your pain started after you were in an accident or jumped or fell, you may have a fractured heel.
Your heel pain may be caused by one of these conditions
In addition to fractures, heel pain can be caused by:
- Plantar Fasciitis: The condition occurs when the tough band of tissue that connects your heel to your toes becomes inflamed. Pain may be worse first thing in the morning and after sitting or being inactive for a while.
- Heel Fissure: Deep, painful cracks in your heels may not heal without treatment from a foot doctor.
- Heel Spurs: Calcium deposits that form on the bottoms or back of your heel make walking painful.
- Achilles Tendonitis: Inflammation in the thin tendon at the back of your heel can result in tenderness and pain.
- Retrocalcaneal Bursitis: Pain at the back of your heel may also be caused by inflammation in the retrocalcaneal bursa, a small sac that helps the Achilles tendon glide easily.
No matter what the source of your heel pain, your foot doctor offers treatments that can ease your symptoms. Depending on your diagnosis, treatment may include walking boots, crutches, prescription shoe inserts or heel cups, prescription medication, corticosteroid injections, or ultrasound therapy.
Are you struggling with heel pain? Schedule a visit with your Meredith and Concord, NH, foot doctors, Dr. William McCann, Dr. Jeffery Davis, and Dr. Thomas Detwiller of Affiliates in Podiatry. Make an appointment at the Concord office by calling (603) 225-5281 or at the Meredith office by calling (603) 279-0339.